The University of British Columbia proudly collaborates with The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program to offer inclusive scholarships to academically talented yet economically marginalized students from Sub-Saharan Africa. This initiative aims to empower young individuals committed to fostering positive change in their communities and contributing to the continent’s social and economic transformation.
Duration: Ten years
Total Scholars: 163 (77 undergraduates, 35 master’s students)
Growth: Started with five undergraduates in 2013, reaching over 70 scholars in 2018.
- Completed a Bachelor’s degree
- Aged 35 or younger at the time of application
- Citizen or refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Lived a significant part of life in a Sub-Saharan African country
- Demonstrated financial need and academic excellence under challenging circumstances
- Commitment to community service and leadership
- Must require a Canadian study permit
- No asylum or protected person status claim in Canada
- Step One: Assess Your Eligibility
Choose programs of interest
Review academic requirements
Confirm background experience
- Step Two: Additional Tests
Take an English Proficiency Exam if applicable
- Step Three: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application Package
Complete the Program Application by December 1, 2023
Include personal statements, CV, two reference letters, transcripts, and a signed declaration
- Step Four: UBC Faculty Applications
Apply online after completing the Mastercard Foundation Application
Check for fee waiver eligibility
- Step Five: Reviewing Process
Faculties nominate candidates in February 2024
University-wide committee reviews and selects award recipients
Shortlisted candidates undergo video interviews
Award recipients announced in April 2024
Incomplete or late packages will not be accepted, and the university is not responsible for packages not received by the deadline. Applicants not receiving the scholarship won’t receive individual responses due to the high volume of applications.
For detailed instructions and resources, refer to the program website and application materials.