Many nations claim to be “the heart of Europe”, but Belgium may be closest to the truth: The small, cosmopolitan nation played an important role in shaping the Europe we know today, and its capital, Brussels, is the seat of the European Union government. With many study options available, Belgium is also an exciting destination for international students.
Country Rank (2018)
Study in Belgium
If you want to study in Belgium in English, there is a large number of universities to choose from – many of which are highly reputed, top-ranked institutions.
KU Leuven is Belgium’s largest university and one of the oldest in Europe as it was founded almost 600 years ago. It has a stunning reputation for research and is often ranked in the top 50 universities worldwide. The philosopher Erasmus was part of the university for many years as was the cartographer Gerardus Mercator, who created the Mercator map projection which became the standard particularly for nautical purposes.
Founded in 1817, Ghent University is younger by far but also well-regarded in the world rankings, coming in the top 100. Covering 11 campuses, international students generally number about 10% of the 41,000 student population. All bachelor programmes are taught in Dutch here, but many of the Masters and postgraduate courses can be pursued in English.
Another university founded in 1817, the University of Liège is the only public university for French speakers from Brussels. More than half of its budget is spent on research, with much inter-disciplinary research undertaken by its faculty.
The Free University of Brussels was founded in 1834, but split into two in 1969. The two different universities are known as the Free Brussels Universities and continue to collaborate today. They are ULB, which is French-speaking, and VUB, which is predominantly Dutch; together, more than 20% of their student intake is international.
Universities in Belgium
- Artevelde University of Applied Sciences
- Brussels School of Governance
- Ghent University
- Hasselt University
- Howest University of Applied Sciences
- KdG University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- KU Leuven
- LUCA School of Arts
- Odisee University College
- PXL University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- Thomas More University of Applied Sciences
- UC Leuven-Limburg (UCLL)
- Université catholique de Louvain
- Université de Liège
- Université libre de Bruxelles
Scholarships in Belgium
There are a variety of scholarships available for international students who wish to study in Belgium. Here are some of the most popular scholarships:
- Erasmus+ Scholarships: These scholarships are offered by the European Commission and provide funding for students from European Union (EU) and non-EU countries to study in Belgium.
- Belgian Government Scholarships: These scholarships are offered by the Belgian government and provide funding for students from all over the world to study in Belgium.
- Belgian Universities Scholarships: Many Belgian universities offer their own scholarships for international students. Some examples include the KU Leuven Excellence Scholarships and the Ghent
To Access any University or Scholarship Website, simply copy the name and paste on your browser.
All the best!